Monday 17 November 2014

Enid Blyton Set for Cinema!

By Alisha Shaikh

Enid Blyton’s stories have always been some of my favourite books to read, whether it’s one from her boarding school series or her mysteries. No matter how much I tell myself that I’m far too old to still be reading stories intended for much younger children, I just can’t resist picking up a Malory Towers book when I feel like relaxing. Generations of families have been enchanted by her captivating novels and now her stories are going to be spread to a far wider audience than people who enjoying reading.
‘The Magical Faraway Tree’, one of Blyton’s most loved books, is all set to be made into a movie. It will be produced by Neal Street Productions (Sam Mendes’ company) and may even have three parts, like the book - The Magic Faraway Tree, The Folk of the Faraway Tree and Up The Faraway Tree.

Marlene Johnson, head of the Enid Blyton Estate, told the BBC, "Enid Blyton was a passionate advocate of children's storytelling, and The Magic Faraway Tree is a fantastic example of her creative imagination.” Many of Enid Blyton’s series were “fantastic examples of her creative imagination”, including the ever popular: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Five Find-Outers, Malory Towers and St Clare’s, to name just a few.
Enid Blyton is also well-known for assisting in the production of Noddy, the TV show that several young children grew up to. I still own the Noddy annual story book of 2004 and I consider it a pretty good representation of my childhood!

I’m incredibly excited about the movies and, although as of yet the release date hasn’t been specified, I just can’t wait!